Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Black Lips...Jump around!

Had dinner Saturday night at Chon Som. Chief was still in town and we were trying to show him a good time. Ordered a bucket O'Lone Star and had some delicious Sxul Chocolate Vodka (thanks Trojan!) Holy crap, that is some good stuff. Apparently you are supposed to sip it, but I enjoyed shooting it out of a sake glass much better. Maybe that's what put me in such a great mood for the shows later that night? Squeef and Trojan bailed on the music, but Chief, Squeezin and I had a blast!

Headed down to Emo's to check out some live music. The Austin Chronicle recommended the Black Lips, so Squeezin suggested we check them out. Glad we did! He has a good write-up. Click here for his version of the evening (since he was the driver and recalls more). I didn't even remember seeing 3 bands, but I guess that's because we sat in the outdoor area because we didn't care for one band.

I must say that I hadn't had that much fun at a concert in a long time. I was jumping all around and having a blast, even though I had never heard of any of their songs. I'm sure the rambunctious crowd had something to do with it. Well, that and all the chocolate vodka!

Read this review of their show. Gives you a pretty good idea of what we experienced. I've also read that these guys usually involve nudity, barfing and urination during their shows...none of that was seen during the Austin show though.

You can see my pics here. If they play in your town, I suggest you go see them!

4 Comments:

Blogger mike said...

I eventually made it to Emo's, but they wouldn't let me in. Maybe it was too late? Wrong door?

ANyway, I made it into Emo's lounge, where there was a group shooting stop motion videos of folks. I had to sign a release and everything, so I guess it was legit. The camera dude said to "use my imagination", so I did.

He said that "No one has ever done that before." And he had me shoot a retake to get the angle right, which he doesn't usually do (second takes).

I am supposed to get the videos from that night e-mailed to me or sent an e-mail link.

Supposedly.

February 26, 2008 10:28 PM  
Blogger Gagger said...

Are you being serious??

Emo's has 3 different doors: the lounge is off 6th, emo's outdoors has its entrance on the side street (red river?), and emo's inside is on the corner. But the outside and inside share the same bathrooms cause we walked through both places.

February 26, 2008 11:22 PM  
Blogger PlaysByEar said...

Cool, thanks for the link to that review! I wish I had more to say on my post but I didn't take any notes so I couldn't remember everything. I forgot how everyone was throwing stuff--that was really amusing to me. There's also a review on that website of the SFA show I saw at Emo's a few weeks ago.

Mike, too bad you couldn't get in--you probably tried the RR entrance instead of 6th st? I heard about the stop motion show on MEtv--Kissinger's new video is all stop motion and the song is pretty good.

February 26, 2008 11:36 PM  
Blogger Chief said...

Kicking show, I had a blast, I look forward to seeing you guys sooner this time.

March 02, 2008 4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog tracker