Monday, April 21, 2008

I'm an idiot..and Mike Doughty show

Ok, so yesterday I didn't make the best decisions. Glad everything turned out ok!

So, where to begin..... I thought I had found some friends to go check out the Reggae Fest with, once they finished with brunch. They bailed. What to do...go by myself? That's no fun. Another friend of mine wasn't going until later that evening and I was already going to see Mike Doughty at Antone's. I got a text from Trojan saying she and C'Em were gonna go get some drinks downtown. I was pissy and tired of waiting around. I was in.

We started at Manuel's on Congress (because Cork & Co. wasn't quite open yet). Had a margarita. Then went next door once Cork opened. They made me try a cheese plate. I actually tried everything...turns out I really like Brie (I knew that one already) and Gouda. Oh yeah, and 2 glasses of Pinot Noir.

Next up: Fado. One large beer and a bite of some homemade banana pudding from the cute bartender.

Another stop on our tour of the Warehouse District: the Gingerman. I almost forgot about going to that place. Christine met us here. Then it was time to part ways. Trojan and C'Em went to get dinner and Christine and I went to Antone's to meet Eric and another Jen for the show. That would help with my downfall....not eating anything for dinner except crackers and cheese.

We got there and the 1st opening band was on stage. We notice that they are all wearing long fake beards. I want a picture of that! We order and beer and whammy, they run off the stage. We just barely caught the end of their last song. I managed to get a pic of one of them though...which will come in handy later on.....No idea what they called themselves. Ok, just did some digging around. The bearded group is collectively called Ron Blackmon. And after seeing some good pics of them on this blog, I recognized a tattoo of the lead singer which matches Mike Doughty!

Next up was a group called The Panderers. I thought the drummer was kind of cute...in a scruffy kind of way. Which is weird, because I usually like the bass players. They had a big stand up bass (which I LOVE), but that guy wasn't doing it for me. I liked the music and wanted to buy one of their CDs...but forgot later on to stop by the merch table. I'll have to check out their web site to see if I still like them sober. :)

Next it was time for the Mike Doughty Band. He is the former lead singer of Soul Coughing (you know, that Super Bon Bon song from ages ago). He has a very distinctive voice. Love it! Two of the guys looked very familiar. Umm, they were the drummer and the stand up bass player from the previous band! Only this time, they put on suit jackets. And after looking closely at the pic I got of one of the long fake bearded guys from the very first band, turns out he is the same stand up bass player! I bet the drummer was the same as well. Too freakin' funny.



You can see all the pics here.

Several Lone Star tall boys later and the show was over. I don't remember this part at all. Did I walk to my car on 3rd at Congress by myself? It wasn't too far from Antone's, so probably. Next thing I know I am waking up in the backseat of my SUV. Look at my watch and see that it's a little after 1:30am. Found out this morning that the concert ended at 11:30pm. So I took a 2 hour nap after the show. The idiot move of the night? I get in the front seat and don't remember having to unlock the door to get in. Notice that my keys are in the ignition. Damn, I'm brilliant. I know better than to have your keys anywhere near the driver's side and what do I do? I have them hanging there with the doors unlocked and me passed out in the backseat. IDIOT drunkard!

I would've probably slept the rest of the night in my car, but I had to pee. Did I go to a 24-hour Taco Cabana? Nope. I drove up to the top of my work's downtown parking garage and peed up there. If anyone who lives in the Westgate Building was awake and looking out their window, they saw my ass. Nice. Then I made the trek home to North Austin. That drive sucked. My alarm came way too early as well.

3 Comments:

Blogger mike said...

The last time I passed out in my car downtown, I put the keys in the trunk and crawled onto the floor boards. I then covered my self with fast food resturant bags, dirty gym clothes and whatever I could find to conceal myself from any law enforcement eyes that might peer into my car. Luckily, I carry around bottled water for emergencies, so the whole taking a piss thing was taken care of. Man, that was years ago.

April 21, 2008 6:31 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Holy shit girl....your story is WAY better than mine. I'll try harder next time:)

April 21, 2008 6:38 PM  
Blogger Gagger said...

I had recently cleaned out my car, so no blankets or jackets at all to hide under. I obviously wasn't thinking too clearly if I left my doors unlocked with the keys in the ignition!

April 21, 2008 7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog tracker