Monday, April 21, 2008

Rocky Hill aid station

I woke up at 5am on Saturday morning, stopped to get a bag of ice for the beer, a donut and diet coke, and then picked up Client #69. We headed out to Smithville to work one of the aid stations at the Rocky Hill Trail Race. I had a blast while helping out at the Cactus Rose 100 last year, so I was happy to help at this race. I got lucky and got the best location ever!

Gorgeous views


The Tunnel O'Pines Aid Station


Lulu!


Here is the photo op that Carl (Client #69) had us take. Blame him, blame him (for your lost minute)!

I had just been checking out the water crossing when Wiley came through the aid station a few minutes before Lulu, so I didn't have my camera handy. He was too quick, so no pic.

Talked to some very nice, interesting folks who stopped to refuel along their run. Trail runners are sooooo damn nice. One guy sat and chatted for a bit. He was doing the 50 miler and was running with an 18 pound pack to train for some run across the Gobi Desert where you have to carry in all supplies you might need. They only provide water. I think his pack will start off at 30 pounds when he begins that race. He said it's a 150 mile, 7 day run across the desert. You can read all about it here.


Here is the 1st person to take us up on our beer offer! Time was 8:54am.

We finally got the idea to make a sign.

You can see all the pics here. Wish I would've taken more of all the people, but I was too busy refilling water jugs, etc.

Special congratulations to Lulu for finishing 2nd place in the female division! You can read her race report here. And Wiley beat his goal of 2 hours and 17 minutes. Woot woot!

7 Comments:

Blogger Outdoorgirl said...

That is soo cool! That place looks awesome!!

April 22, 2008 12:14 PM  
Blogger BH said...

Beautiful spot!

April 22, 2008 2:27 PM  
Blogger Smut Mutt said...

I clicked ont the last pic and it's a dead link?

April 22, 2008 2:30 PM  
Blogger Gagger said...

It WAS a great location for the aid station.

Which pic? All the pics and links just worked for me.

April 22, 2008 2:37 PM  
Blogger Lulu said...

No one offered me a beer!!

April 23, 2008 12:20 PM  
Blogger Gagger said...

Seriously? We had a TON of beer! Pretty much only the 50 milers drank beer as they took a quick rest.

But hey, then you would've missed your goal time by about 5 minutes. ;)

April 23, 2008 12:21 PM  
Blogger Smut Mutt said...

They're all working today, musta been a hiccup somewhere. Nice looking place.

April 23, 2008 12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog tracker