Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Christmas in Miami with Mike and Mo

Miami Pics

Ok, so I am extremely behind on my updates...let's see how far I can get tonight since I'm finally starting to feel a little better. For those of you that don't know, Michael is my brother and Monique is his wife.

December 24: Got to the airport a little too early and was quite bored. Couldn't read the book I had brought because I was slightly hungover from the concert the previous night. Finally got on the plane for Houston. Our flight took off late, so I was afraid I was going to miss my connecting flight for Miami. Almost had to run through the airport in Houston....made it just in time. Slept off and on most of the way, until we hit a rainstorm. Was the 2nd scariest flight I've been on. Turbulence sucks. By the time I finally got off the plane [was in the 2nd to last row], tried to help a French lady who was lost in the airport and barely spoke English, found my luggage and got to Monique's Uncle's house, I had completely missed dinner. Of course, it was now a little after 10pm. What's open on Christmas Eve in Miami? Not a damn thing! Well, we did finally find a Denny's that was open. Man, I love their Super Bird sandwich.

Christmas Day:
After opening up our presents at Mike and Mo's, we headed over to Monique's parent's house for Christmas lunch. My brother's favorite gift from me might have been the bag of Fancy Ketchup I took him from Whataburger! He and Mo really miss that place. Ok, so his favorite gift was actually the black and white photos I found and had framed for him...old school pics of our grandmother and grandfather, and one of my dad and his brothers when they were little. Too cute.

Monique's dad sure can make a mean drink. Tasted kind of like a margarita, but he used rum....an entire bottle of rum per batch! Let's just say Mr. Pinon and I were in great spirits all day long because we were the only ones who liked his strong concoction. But even those yummy drinks couldn't save the movie THE RINGER. I love Johnny Knoxville and all, but it really wasn't that funny. Just so-so.

December 27: Can't recall what we did on Monday...but Tuesday we went over to Miami Beach...to my favorite little area called South Pointe Park. They have a long pier you can walk out on and just enjoy the beautiful water while watching ships pass into the Port of Miami. Unfortunately, the pier was closed, so we walked on the jetty. Apparently, that plane that was headed for the Bahamas that crashed just a week before crashed right in that area. Next we went to a few souvenir shops looking for a few items. Do you know that nobody in any one of those shops has any idea what a koozie is? Are Texans the only ones who use them? When I was in New York I ran into the same problem. Anyway, we then went to a cool restaurant called Big Pink which was super dee-lish. And they aren't kidding when they say they have large portions! My leftovers were a whole meal the next day. [Don't let the pictures on the web site fool you...it doesn't look that nice inside at all....a total dive, and I love it!]

December 28: Thought Christmas in Miami was going to be weird since it wouldn't be cold, but that turned out to be pretty cool...we went to a beach in Key Biscayne on this day. Borrowed Mr. Pinon's kayaks, tied them to the roof of our cars and were off! It was such a gorgeous day...and who doesn't love the sound of waves rolling in? Monique had packed us a great little picnic of sandwiches and snacks. Only thing missing was a cold Lone Star beer! Guess that was over looked since she is pregnant. :) We also later found out that it was actually warmer in Austin. So I didn't miss any cold weather at all. Ha! Later that night we had Mo's parent's over for dinner since it was my last night and I needed to talk to Mr. P about my genealogy project.

December 29: My last day. We went to South Beach to walk around and take photos with the pretty beach in the background. The water was cold, but that didn't stop a bunch of crazy Miami folks from playing in it. I would have loved to have had some shorts or a skirt on, but I didn't pack too well for this trip. So I was hot in my jeans. Next time I'll know better! Walked over to Espanola Way for a bite to eat and then it was time to head home to pack. Unfortunately, it wasn't a weekend, so the market wasn't open. Guess I'm gonna have to go back!

I've got to go to sleep now, but I'll be posting a link to all of my Miami photos later on, as if anyone really wants to see them!

Ciao.

10 Comments:

Blogger dayoldfish said...

Like Christmas in Miami is that different from Austin. It was like 80 something.

January 03, 2006 10:23 AM  
Blogger Gagger said...

Hey dinner bailer...It wasn't supposed to be that warm in Austin!

January 03, 2006 10:53 AM  
Blogger dayoldfish said...

Wasn't supposed to be, when did you take over the roll of Mother Nature?

January 03, 2006 10:57 AM  
Blogger Gagger said...

Didn't you know that I was a weather girl at KBTX in college?!

January 03, 2006 10:59 AM  
Blogger dayoldfish said...

nope. What is this you say about college, thought you went to A&M

January 03, 2006 11:02 AM  
Blogger Gagger said...

A&M has a meteorology department.

January 03, 2006 11:06 AM  
Blogger dayoldfish said...

What do they teach,m trhowing chicken bones. Or do they break bones and say, when it aches, it is going to rain. Damn, I am off, stupid cold, usually my comebacks would be better.

January 03, 2006 11:10 AM  
Blogger Gagger said...

Ok, so that isn't what I majored in...but I did go to the Oceanography-Meteorology building several times. Pretty cool!

I feel like crap too...better not be coming down with a cold. Maybe my sore throat is due to all the alcohol I consumed this past weekend??

January 03, 2006 11:15 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

At least you guys didn't have a cold over New Year's...that sucked.

January 03, 2006 11:22 AM  
Blogger dayoldfish said...

Okay, so I am back to calling you Mother Nature

January 03, 2006 11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog tracker