Monday, June 05, 2006

Kurt is the Key!


So, back on Saturday, May 13, I went to a graduation party for my buddy Hundl. Ok, his name is Kurt Hundl, but I've always called him by his last name. We go way back to the Fall of 1991 at Texas A&M. Many of you hashers in Austin might recognize him and his girlfriend, JUST APRIL. They were 2 of the 5 virgins that STRAP-ON ELVIS brought out to a STAYFREE trail in the 100 degree heat of the summer. JUST KRISTIN, BITCH, JAMES BITCH, and myself were the others. I remember when all the other regulars were staring at us, asking why on Earth Elvis would bring 5 virgins to a STAYFREE trail, especially without water. But what did we know? Luckily, SOCIAL RETARD and TAF befriended us, helped us find trail when we got lost and TAF gave us cold water from his Camelbak. THANK YOU!!! I mean, it took us 2 hours to get to the 1st beer check...

JUST KURT & JUST APRIL after a hash run

Anyway, Kurt finished up his Masters degree in Juvenile Justice and his sister and girlfriend decided to throw him a party. His sister lives out in BFE off Bee Caves and it started at 6pm, so I skipped going to the lake so I could help him celebrate. He is, afterall, an important key to my new life as a hasher. But that's for later. Anyway.....Hundl's sister knows how to throw a party! There was tons of beer, a margarita machine, tons of delicious appetizers and of course, a kick ass dinner. I believe she got the fajitas from Maudie's. Dee-lish! I also need to remember the beer they got in the keg...it was yummy as well. Something like Warsteiner. Anyway, a good time was had by all. :)

Hundl & Gagger at the Graduation Party

So, back to the reason why Kurt is the key to my life as a hasher....

So there I was, in College Station about 2am, many years ago, at Denny's. Possibly 1999? 2000? I was walking in the door, Hundl was walking out the door. We hadn't seen each other in years. We were both in town for the Aggies home football game, had been out partying and both wanted some late night grub. We discovered that we both now lived in Austin, and only 5 minutes from each other. We met in the Fall of 1991 while working at our first job during school. Anyway, we exchanged numbers that night at Denny's and have been hanging out ever since. I should've paid him rent back then since I was always at his house...sleeping on his couch [sound familiar D&J?]. I became a fan of his softball team, which is named Betty Ford Clinic. Ok, so I liked one of his friends/teammates.... But that's another story. Anyway, each BFC player has a different beer on the front of their shirt and their numbers on the back are BACs. This year the girls are getting shirts with different liquors on them. Not sure what mine is gonna be because the ones I requested weren't available and April already called Jager! Something funny they do at the end of each game is give the Jackass Award. Everyone votes...players and fans. The person gets the most votes has to drink a nasty beer that night. At the next game, he has to wear the pink Jackass shirt and the pink flamingo hat at his first at bat. It's quite humorous. This pic was at an all day tournament. I drank a little too much and decided I wanted to try on the hat!

Jen in the Jackass Hat!


Well, Lavaca Street Bar used to be their softball sponsor, but then one year a little restaurant named Plucker's became their sponsor. After every game we'd go to the 183 location to drink and eat. This began my love for that place. And this was before they expanded and had the cool bar section...and when Thomas was a waiter. He was our favorite. Now Thomas is a manager at the Rio Grande location and we never see him. :(

This is Thomas

When Thomas wasn't waiting tables anymore, my favorite waiter became Jeremy. But now he is a manager over at the new Round Rock store!

And here is Jeremy

Here are some pics after a tourney...look at the progression of drunkenness. This was a rough day. The tournament started around 9-10am. I started drinking shortly thereafter, plus, there was an Astros playoff on TV as well as a Longhorn football game. You better believe I brought my TV and an extension cord to the fields! Someone else did as well, so they had the Longhorn game on while I was watching the 'Stros between softball games. April carried out her mom's tradition of doing shots after every UT touchdown. Now, I wasn't rooting for the Longhorns, but I did take a shot everytime they scored. [Seriously, BROWNIE!] Who is gonna pass up liquor? After Team Betty Ford Clinic won the whole tournament, we headed over to Plucker's to celebrate...with shots, of course. And then moved on to Graffiti's!




Holy smokes! Why was I taking more shots?!!

Hundl at Graffiti's

Back to the story....One softball game, this girl named Kristin came out to watch Kurt play. We started chatting and became instant friends and started hanging out. Then I met one of her good friends...this guy named Todd. Turns out, he was a manager at the Rio Grande Plucker's.

Kristin, Kurt and Jen, 7 weeks before we started hashing, at the Rio Grande Plucker's

One day, Todd told me about this group he was involved with that ran for beer. I thought it sounded awesome and wanted to hear more. He told me all about G and Kuala Lumpur, etc. BUT, he didn't invite us out and I didn't know about the web site. I remember exactly where I was when he first told me about the Hash...we were having a few beers at Graffiti's...great little dive bar around the corner from my condo. Anyway, while at Plucker's one night, we all decided to finally check it out. So on August 21, 2005, this Todd guy, who you all know as STRAP-ON ELVIS, took 5 virgins to the hash...and I've been hooked ever since. Only 2 of his original virgins still hash, but I'm currently working on JUST KURT and JUST APRIL...someday they will return! And maybe I can even get JUST KRISTIN to return.

So, without Kurt, I never would have gone to Plucker's, never would have met Kristin, never would have met Todd, and never would have heard about the hash! Ok, so maybe some chance encounter would have eventually led me to the hash, but maybe not. So STRAP-ON actually took me to the hash, but I wouldn't be a hasher, wouldn't have met all of my wonderful hasher friends and wouldn't be writing some shitty blog right now, had I not run into good ol' Hundl in good ol' Aggieland several years ago. :)

10 Comments:

Blogger Barbara said...

Everything happens for a reason....guess you were destined to be a hasher.

June 05, 2006 9:24 PM  
Blogger Jerri said...

Awww, I like that story! It reminds me of that country song - something about when you're spinning round, the world comes undone, welcome to earth third rock from the sun

June 05, 2006 9:33 PM  
Blogger PlaysByEar said...

So a fellow gagger is responsible for your hashing... that explains a lot!

June 05, 2006 9:48 PM  
Blogger babyG said...

cool story

June 05, 2006 10:32 PM  
Blogger BRAE said...

Cute story, my story sucks now. My cousin read about the hash in the paper, so goes, tells me they are like our family and I decide to start going with her.

June 06, 2006 8:46 AM  
Blogger dayoldfish said...

You would have eventually found the hash Graffiti's is like Marisa's second home. Which Graffiti's is how I was first introduced to hashers.

June 06, 2006 10:21 AM  
Blogger Pittchick said...

Now for the story of how you got named...

June 06, 2006 2:19 PM  
Blogger Spotty said...

I love inviting new people to hash but at the same time, I kinda wanna "keep it to myself".

June 06, 2006 2:53 PM  
Blogger Rafael said...

The story of how she got named, involves a little dive bar called Mickey's thirsty lounge, lots of drinking and some biting. I'll leave the rest to for AG to tell.

June 06, 2006 7:01 PM  
Blogger Chicken Wing McCown said...

How does one get in touch with this Kurt figure for an interview about his own pluckers day of the year?

January 10, 2008 4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog tracker