Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Trip to Arlington

Ok, so I know I'm behind, but I don't always have time during lunch to blog. And now, I don't have access to the internet from my condo...at the moment. Anyway, on May 1, my co-worker and I drove up to Arlington for our big fundraising event. I had never been on a road trip with her and was a little worried about how I'd handle the trip because she likes to talk...a lot! She had also mentioned getting a book on tape...which could be cool, but I didn't have any idea what she'd bring.

So we finally hit the road at 11am and I immediately think to myself that it's gonna be a LONG trip. She doesn't keep her foot on the pedal the entire time. It's like she gives it a little gas, lets off, then gives it gas again, repeat. Holy hell! Seriously?? I thought I might end up with more gray hairs, but I never said anything. Argh. We actually chatted quite a bit and that was pleasant. Then we put in her book on tape. A Salty Piece Of Land, by Jimmy Buffett. I didn't get into it right away because I've never ever listened to a book on tape and just couldn't get into it. But then I tried to actually listen, rather than try to sleep. Turns out, I really liked it! But there were about 6-8 CDs. No way we'd get through all of them. Especially since she kept turning it off to say something or concentrate during the insane thunderstorm that we hit in Waco. Then she'd turn it back on. On, off, on, off, on, off.

Next thing I know, we're in Arlington. Drove up to the offices of our Corporate Member and unloaded everything. Got everything set up, rushed over to our hotel (which was a whole 2 minutes away), had 30 minutes to change clothes and get ready, then headed back for the event.

View from my hotel: Rangers Stadium

I used to go to this 6 Flags all the time as a kid!


Ok, so these offices are in the stadium of the Rangers baseball team. Was totally cool. Now all they need to do is get a 2nd office at Minute Maid Park! :)

View from 2nd floor of their offices!


Apparently, there is no bathroom door in the visiting team's bullpen.





Once the game ended, the employees wanted to watch the end of the Mavericks game. Fine with me...there was tons of free liquor! So we hung out and drank more. Eventually, it was just me, my co-worker and one SBL employee. We ended up chatting and drinking away in the big, comfy chairs of the conference room until 2am! Luckily, my co-worker had already said that we were checking out at the final check out time.....11am. So I knew I could sleep in a little.

We made it back to Austin while listening to more of the book on tape. I'm hooked and now need to borrow it from her, or just go buy the actual book! But I think it'd be cool to listen to the book on tape while commuting to work. I need to talk to her about borrowing it.....

P.S. Did I mention that May 1st was my niece's birthday and I called my brother and his wife after many Bushmills on the rocks with a splash of water?? Niiiiiiice. I'm the drunk Aunt.

3 Comments:

Blogger Nick said...

Drunk aunts rule! I have 3 of them. Seriously...

May 10, 2007 12:55 AM  
Blogger Gagger said...

Whoop!

May 10, 2007 12:11 PM  
Blogger BRAE said...

It could be worse, I am the mean Aunt.

May 10, 2007 8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog tracker