Thursday, May 04, 2006

Miami, Mia and Magna Cum Laude

Ok, so I am skipping ahead to my trip to Miami, then maybe I'll go back to that "I've been tagged" thing.

Ok, so here is the quick version of the story....
Went to Miami on April 29, had a big joint family dinner on April 30, brother's first child born on May 1, brother graduated from Florida International University on May 2, returned to Austin May 3.



Mike & Mo in the baby room, the day before Mia was born




Longer version...So on Saturday, April 29 I flew to Miami to visit my brother and his wife. My little bro Michael was finally graduating from college at Florida International University. Both sets of my parents were there, plus Monique's folks live in Miami...so it was a mini-reunion. Michael's wife Monique was due to have their first baby on May 9. We kept joking around with them that they needed to have the baby while we were all in town...and they did! Mo had her little one 8 days early while the fam was in town for graduation. Couldn't have happened any better.

My mom, step-dad and I got into town late Saturday, we had breakfast at the Gables Diner Sunday morning. I really like this place...great variety of delicious food plus friendly staff. Oh yeah, and my brother and Monique are regulars, so they've become friends with one of the co-owners. After breakfast, my bro wanted to take us on a tour of his hotel, The Setai. It's a swanky hotel with ridiculously priced rooms and gorgeous views, but hey, I was just there for a tour. Well, my mom and I have seen the place before on previous trips, but my step-dad Randy had never been. So we headed over to the beach side about the time when Mike was supposed to get off work. While waiting in the lobby area we were people watching. Next thing I know my mom is waving at us saying, "that guy is on TV." I didn't recognize him, but apparently he is on Oprah quite a bit. Does celebrity weddings and such. Anyway, it was Colin Cowie. I've heard the name, but never would have recognized him because I don't watch Oprah! He was there to meet with some couple to plan their wedding in Cabo. Lifestyles of the rich......

My Dad and step-mom Carol flew in Sunday afternoon. We ALL had dinner at Monique's parent's house on Sunday night. It sure is nice to have divorced parents who get along with each other. Makes times like these so much more enjoyable. [Did I mention that Mr. Pinon makes killer rum drinks!]. The Pinon's served up a traditional Cuban meal...dee-lish! They are quite hilarious as well and always have fun stories to tell. My stomach hurt from all the laughing I did. Guess those rum drinks helped with that too!

On Monday I took my Dad and Carol to another restaurant I like to frequent when in town. It's called Berries. I love the outdoor courtyard seating and the food is scrumptious. I even like the hummus! Can you believe it? That's right...Jen, Ms. Fast Food/Queso Queen, likes their spicy hummus. After lunch, I gave my Dad and Carol a mini-tour of Miami Beach and my brother got a co-worker to give us a tour of his hotel.


On South beach with Carol

View from 37th floor of hotel where my brother works



Then we got the photo text of little Mia! Earlier we were told Mo wouldn't have the baby for about 6-8 hours, which is why Michael wanted me to take the folks on a tour. But Monique had the baby quite quickly, so we bolted for the hospital.



So here is little Mia with her mom, Monique.



Mia Katherine O'Neil
Born on May 1 at 4:25pm, 6 pounds 13 ounces, 18 1/2 inches long. She is definitely a Gringo...didn't get the Cuban genes! Mo joked about getting Mia a fake tan so that she looks more Cuban. Out of 6 grandkids, only 1 looks like the Cuban side of the family!


When they took the baby to be cleaned and to run some tests, I took both sets of my parents to grab a bite to eat at a little bayside restaurant called Scotty's Landing. This is such a great little chill, grab a burger and a beer, kick back and watch the water type of place. Very relaxing. Then it was back to the hospital until visiting hours were up at 9pm.


Auntie Jen!

Tuesday, went back to the hospital. While there, 3 of the guys decided they would attempt to put the car seat in Monique's car since she was going to be released later that day. After about 20 minutes, it still wasn't in properly and 2 of the guys were veteran parents. So off to the fire station they went to get it checked out. The fireman fixed it lickity split! Of course, the guys didn't return right away. My brother decided he needed to go home to get his graduation stuff, decided to shave and piddle around the house. Carol and I were feeling like we should have left a lot earlier because Monique looked like she really needed some quiet time so she could rest. Finally, they returned and off we were.
My dad with his first grandbaby

Couldn't decide what we wanted to eat, so we drove over to the Miracle Mile area where we knew there would be food that was quick, but not fast-food. Stumbled upon the Atlanta Bread Company. Had never even heard of it, but loved their paninis. I was dying to check out this new surf shop that Monique had told me about because I need some new board shorts and I can't find any in Austin this year. So my Dad and Carol headed over there since it was close to their hotel. After I came out of the dressing room I saw someone I met in May of 2004. Very small world. I don't think I've talked to this person in about a year. Met him in a surf shop in 2004 and ran into him in a totally different surf shop this trip. Small, small world. Later that night was my brother's graduation, so we didn't get to chat very long. Had to rush to drop off my Dad and Carol, get home to change clothes and get to the ceremony...all through insane Miami traffic with crazy drivers.

The graduation was nice once the Business School woman stopped her commercial for their program. Get over yourself lady! The Hospitality and Tourism department made the whole ceremony fun. They were loud and crazy and had these cool things that popped large confetti way up into the air. At the end of the graduation they started blaring fun music...only in Miami. And can you believe it? Monique had the baby on Monday at 4:25pm and went to the graduation the very next night. Crazy. Not sure how she did that on 1 hour of sleep...or maybe even less with all the contractions the previous days. Either way, she was not going to miss it since she had been pushing for him to go back to school to get his degree. Michael Calvin O'Neil graduated magna cum laude. Way to go Bubba! He is pissed though that he lost his gold rope sometime during the ceremony while hugging all his friends and professors.



For our graduation celebration, Michael wanted to go to the Gables Diner. He called his friend who owns the place to let them know he was bringing in a big group. They were actually about to close up the place, but held it open because they really like my brother. Not sure if they were closing early or if they just close at 10pm on week nights. We felt bad about keeping them, but the owner was insistent. He even let in another group since he knew we were on our way. That place is quickly becoming a favorite of mine.

Wednesday was return to Austin day. :(

I already want to go back!

More pics to follow when I get the time!

8 Comments:

Blogger PlaysByEar said...

Ha! What an amazing week. Bro must be so happy. Maybe he'll get a chance to relax in oh a couple of years!

May 04, 2006 7:40 PM  
Blogger Denial Queen said...

Congrats Auntie Jen!! what an amazing week...

May 05, 2006 8:15 AM  
Blogger Pittchick said...

Miami looks awesome! I would love to go there sometime. Congrats on being an auntie!

May 05, 2006 9:18 AM  
Blogger Spotty said...

Congrats on everything..couldn't have worked out better. I also would love to visit Miami. I've been there once but only to the port for a cruise.

May 05, 2006 12:33 PM  
Blogger Rafael said...

Congratulations! Awesome pics

May 05, 2006 2:36 PM  
Blogger Gagger said...

Thanks guys! I'll be posting more pics from the whole trip soon. The beaches in Florida are so freakin' beautiful!

May 05, 2006 3:31 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Great post!

May 05, 2006 11:14 PM  
Blogger babyG said...

cool I like babies, good story

May 06, 2006 4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog tracker