Monday, July 24, 2006

KLBJ HH Cruise & Mean-Eyed Cat pics

Ok, so you know how my friend won a free happy hour party boat cruise around Town Lake last week. Here is the scoop on what went down. SOCIAL RETARD and I arrived WAY too early. We were told to be there no later than 5:15pm by Tricia, the happy hour winner. KLBJ had told her to be there no later than 5:30pm, so she had padded the arrival time to allow for late folks...but we got there before Tricia's time. We realized we were the first people to arrive....even beat the radio peeps. Decided to get a drink at the hotel bar since the Capital Cruise folks told us the boat didn't leave until 6pm. [The boats are docked right outside of the Hyatt.] Soon after, all of Tricia's friends showed up. About 5:40pm we decided it was time to go check in. Still no sign of Charlie Hodge, but another KLBJ guy was there trying to set everything up. I was happy to hear that we wouldn't be eating the "Hyatt's semi-famous BBQ." I mean, that just made me laugh when I read it on the web site. The BBQ came from some other joint...I swear he said the place was called Rick James BBQ. I googled it and came up with nothing though. Anyway, they had it rolled up in tortillas and it was absolutely delicious...even without BBQ sauce. [Radio guy spilled it in the parking lot!] Yum Yum.

It was time to get our drink on while we waited for the other happy hour winner and guests to arrive. We waited past 6pm but nada. The other winner was a no-show. This was a bummer because we [Lesley, Lauren and I] were looking forward to meeting some new folks...especially single guys! Oh well...time to party on our own. So the boat took off and we downed many, many free Dos Equis beers. Charlie's friend Russ was pretty funny. And, he was heading off to Amsterdam the next day and hadn't packed a thing...but he couldn't pass up a free happy hour!

We cruised pretty far down Town Lake and then turned around to head back to the dock. We didn't want the party to end, but the boat was booked for freaking bat sightseers, so we had to get off the boat as soon as it docked. We did manage to take our time and grabbed a lot of the extra beer that was left over since the other winner didn't show up. Some of our partygoers went to watch the bats, but Leslo, Lauren and I decided to head out.

On our way to Lesley's house, we decided to hit up the Mean-Eyed Cat. I had never been there and no idea where it was. Turns out, it's right across from El Arroyo on 5th Street. I've even parked in their parking lot to go to a happy hour at El Arroyo before! And I thought I paid attention to details....

Anyway, it's a very cute, small little bar with a Johnny Cash theme. We hd a great time there playing fun songs on the jukebox and chatting with the cool bartender. I will definitely go back soon!

I've been trying to load some pictures tonight, but it's not working! So you're gonna have to view all of them on Kodakgallery!

So, here are the pics!

1 Comments:

Blogger Eunuch said...

Sounds like you had a great time!

July 25, 2006 10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog tracker