Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Ok, so back to my Colorado trip......

When I left off, I had made it through Wednesday and Thursday in Colorado Springs. Had fun at some local dive bars, ate at the delicious Purple Castle, been a tourist taking tons of scenic shots and met lots of cool people at the MOPP Hash.

So it's now Friday, September 1 in this portion of my update....

HEAVIN' SEMEN and BEAVER CLEAVER came to pick up me and DAY OLD FISH on Friday morning and we headed straight to King's Chef. We wanted them to be able to experience the deliciousness that is the Purple Castle!

After we chowed, we began BROWNIE'S list of things to do on the drive to Monarch.

First stop was Skyline Drive...little road on top of a ridge with some pretty views.




Next was the Royal Gorge. Wow! We almost didn't go inside due to the $25 per person entry fee...but man, am I glad we did. There were several things to do once you got inside. Besides, you couldn't even see the bridge from the parking lot.





Once we got across, BEAVER CLEAVER was set on riding the Skycoaster. I thought he was absolutely crazy for suggesting such a thing. He talked HEAVIN' into doing it pretty quickly. I wanted to inspect everything first. Eventually, I decided what the hell...it was only gonna be $15 each if all 3 of us went and I never do things like this...ever. I can't believe I decided to do it because I like both of my feet on the ground! But holy hell...I am sooooo glad I did. I freaked out quite a bit right at the beginning. And of course I screamed, and screamed, and screamed and then laughed and laughed. Just wait until I get the DVD from BEAVER... Oh yeah, and my camera battery died right after the shot below was taken, so the rest of the Gorge pics are on Jim's camera. Hopefully he'll upload them soon!

Us getting suited up for the Skycoaster

Once the rush from the ride was gone, we were hungry. Found the one food place that was open and had a delicious corn dog to tide me over. I mean, we had plans to eat at Amicas later on in Salida. After our quick little break, we walked across the bridge. All except FISH stopped along the way to take photos. But, apparently, FISHY is totally scared of heights. He hobbled across the bridge in such a way that I asked him if he injured his ankle. Man, I have a bad short term memory! How did I already forget that he told us that earlier?

The last thing we did while inside the park was to ride the Incline Railway down to the bottom of the Gorge. This was cool because once we got down by the water, a group of white water rafters went by us. It was fun to watch them maneuver through the rapids. Maybe one day I'll make another trip up to Canon City to do that. While we were down by the river, we noticed the weather was starting to look stormy so we decided it was time to get back on the road. As we came up to the main entrance, we remembered to go check out the photo they took of us as soon as we had entered the park. Well, all of us except BEAVER CLEAVER...he isn't scared of heights, but man, he sure doesn't like lightning! So he ran out to "get the car warmed up" while HEAVIN' and I were tourists and bought a few copies of the photo. Yeah memories!

Ok, so we were finally on the road to Monarch and to Colorado Invihash! Oh wait, with one stop in Salida to eat at some place on our list of things to do....

The drive was beautiful, but I couldn't take any photos due to my dead battery! Seems I left my spare charging back in the Springs. Oh well. We finally got to Salida and found someone who knew where this "Americas" place was. Well, that's how it sounded on the phone when BROWNIE was telling me about our list. We found a shop owner who understood what we were asking and she pointed us in the right direction. Had some good wood fired pizza and microbrew at Amicas. Ok, list complete!

What to do now? Find a grocery store to stock up on anything needed while at Invihash and hit the road. Colorado Invihash, here we come!

You can view all the pics here.

4 Comments:

Blogger babyG said...

cool pics

September 27, 2006 12:14 AM  
Blogger brownie said...

Colorado rocks! Come up in June to raft the Gorge...all the snowmelt makes the rapids insane.

September 27, 2006 8:04 AM  
Blogger Gagger said...

Insane rapids? Uhh, that's not something I necessarily want to be in. I'll scream the whole trip!

September 27, 2006 8:42 AM  
Blogger dayoldfish said...

hrrrm June, COTEX, so there

September 27, 2006 12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog tracker